Renowned poet Andrea Gibson to visit TU

Andrea Gibson is the spoken-word poet of our lifetime. Their (Gibson’s) poetry illuminates those struggles so central to today’s social justice campaigns.

Thanks to the Society for Gender Equality, Pride and the SA department of Student Awareness, Gibson will be giving a spoken word performance at TU in the Student Union Great Hall on Thursday.

“We really wanted to do an event with Andrea Gibson because they are an amazing spoken word artist who covers things such as mental health, LGBTQ issues, privilege and social justice through their poetry,” said Whitney Cipolla, Vice-President of Society for Gender Equality.

Gibson stands at the forefront of the spoken-word movement as the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam.

Their work has been featured on the BBC, Air America, C-SPAN, Free Speech TV and in 2010 was read by a state representative in lieu of morning prayer at the Utah State Legislature, according to their personal website.

“A lot of people have come together to make this event happen, so it would be awesome if people from all different backgrounds and interest groups could find common ground and unite for a night of incredible poetry,” Cipolla said.

Award winning poet Andrea Gibson will perform at TU this week.

In the days leading up to and following their visit to TU, Gibson’s schedule is full of tours across the nation, so it is an incredible privilege to have them perform here.

“I absolutely think the topics will resonate with students. This performance is for everyone. Andrea covers a wide variety of topics with both seriousness and humor that appeals to the masses, and I think people will leave thinking about how they too can assert their voices for causes of justice, while also having been thoroughly entertained,” Cipolla added.

The performance will be held in The Union Great Hall on Thursday, October 15.

Doors open at 7 pm and the performance is at 7:30 pm. Light refreshments will be served after the performance.

Additionally, Andrea Gibson will be teaching a writing workshop on Friday, October 16 from noon to 1:30 in Chapman Lecture Hall.

If you are interested in attending the workshop, please contact Whitney Cipolla at whitney-cipolla@utulsa.edu. Space is limited, so RSVP if you want to go. Lunch will also be provided.