TU’s Spectacular Seniors: Arts and Sciences

Hayley Higgs

Higgs is majoring in Graphic Design, with a certificate in advertising and minors in art history and French. She worked as a studio assistant, was a production design intern for Tulsa People, has been the primary graphic designer for the 108 Contemporary gallery through Third Floor Design, has worked with elementary students in teaching illustration through TURC, and co-directed and created the graphics for this year’s production of The Vagina Monologues.

Higgs has done free creative and design work for local non-profits in Tulsa. “I hope that I have benefited the Tulsa community through this work, as not-for-profit artistic and service organizations are causes I love to contribute to,” Higgs said.

Higgs does not have a career lined up for after graduation, but plans to work as a graphic designer to build her portfolio and then pursue a Master of Fine Arts.

Her advice for underclassmen is, “Love what you study and don’t limit yourself!” The memories that Higgs hopes to leave for her fellow students are, “‘Oh Hayley, she was that artsy student that always had a thermos of coffee in hand and couldn’t stop talking about Typography.’ But really I hope that I could be a sunshine-y influence on younger art and design students!”

Cameron Still

Still is a graphic design major with a certificate in advertising and a minor in art history.
Over the past four years he has received multiple awards for graphic design and presented his TURC project at the Community Service Symposium as a part of the TU Research Colloquium.

Through the Third Floor Design program, Still was able to give back to the TU community and to non-profit organizations such as Theatre Tulsa, Heller Theatre, Tulsa Roots Music, Town & Country School, The George Kaiser Family Foundation, Tulsa Global Alliance and Women Works. Still provided them with promotional materials free of charge.

Still’s project for the TU Undergraduate Research Challenge involved working with fifth grade art students at Chouteau Elementary to teach them Adobe Illustrator. Still also led them in a project where they animated a short story based on Scott Odell’s novel, “Island of the Blue Dolphins.”

Still has been working as a studio manager and first assistant at Adam Murphy Photography for a little over a year, and plans to continue working there after graduation. He is still learning about his field and hasn’t decided what career path to take.

Still’s advice for underclassmen is to “explore as many different opportunities as possible during your time at TU. I’m not talking about school-sponsored organizations necessarily, but the wealth of knowledge and resources provided to you through your status as a TU student. Attend guest lectures, go the extra mile and challenge yourself in your class projects, and most importantly, take advantage of your ability to form close relationships with your professors and classmates.”

“I hope that whatever legacy I leave behind is quickly overshadowed by the class of 2016. I want to see the students that come after me continue to push the envelope and realize their talent by creating extraordinary work,” Still said.

Michael Mancini

Mancini is a History and Education double major. He has worked in a variety of educational settings and is currently student teaching in a 10th grade world history class. “Every student deserves a great teacher and I hope to provide that in my classroom,” Mancini said.

Mancini’s most notable contribution to the university community has been his term as Student Association President. He has spent the past year representing the student body and seeking to address its needs.

“It was a tremendous honor serving my peers and I hope that the policies I pursued both publicly and internally within SA continue to benefit students in years to come,” he shared about his position.

Mancini will spend the next two years as a Henneke Fellow pursuing an M.A. in Educational Studies here at TU. In 10 years he hopes to be working as a high school social studies teacher, wrapping up a doctorate in educational leadership and beginning the transition to an administrative or policy role so that he can make a broader impact on education in America.

Mancini’s advice for underclassmen is to “read bulletin boards, go to every event you can, and join Student Association.”

“Though small, my favorite legacy here at TU is the use of ‘I Voted’ stickers during SA elections which I started my freshman year. I smile every time I see that someone participated in choosing their student leaders,” Mancini said.

Lana Bible

Bible is an elementary education major with a minor in Spanish. Bible has tutored students at Kendall Whittier through the Reading Partners program, which she believes everyone should join. She was also able to help teach English as a Second Language to a group of Burmese refugees.

Immediately following graduation, Bible will be going to Chile to do missions work in a church there. When she returns, she plans to teach at a low income school in the Tulsa metro.

In 10 years Bible would like to teach full time in South America. “There are many countries around the world with inadequate education systems. My dream is to use the education I’ve received here at TU to teach around the world,” she said.

“To the underclassmen, don’t be afraid to have fun. It’s ok to get a B if it means you were able to spend time with friends and family.”
Bible hopes that she will be remembered at TU “as someone who always sought to better the world around her.”

Sarah Hartley

Hartley is a communication major with emphasis in public relations and advertising. She has interned for Schnake Turnbo Frank PR and Consulting, the Belgian American Education Foundation in Brussels, Belgium and is currently the PR intern at the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma.

Hartley has also worked on marketing campaigns for The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges and Tulsa’s Greenwood District.
Hartley volunteered as an unpaid Public Relations intern at The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges. She is currently working with sophomores and juniors to establish a professional communication organization called TUSC (TU Strategic Communication) before graduation.

After graduation, Hartley is going to move to Washington, D.C. to begin her career in public relations with the law firm of Obadal, Filler, MacLeod and Klein.

Hartley said that in 10 years, “I imagine I will be busy balancing work and family. Maybe living somewhere exotic, like Maine. I would like to live in a lighthouse.”

Hartley’s advice for underclassmen is to, “Learn the TU fight song please!” As far as her legacy at TU is concerned, Hartley said, “Well, I bought a brick.”

Haley Stritzel

Stritzel is graduating with degrees in sociology and women’s and gender studies. Her biggest accomplishment as an undergraduate student was attending a National Science Foundation-funded summer program and writing an independent research paper on the relationships between adolescent delinquency, family structure, family relationships and later adult criminal involvement.

Stritzel has interned with the Tulsa YWCA and the Oklahoma Policy Institute and worked as a research assistant for the past two years. As a research assistant, she helped with the evaluation of a prison diversion program for women. The program addresses womens’ mental health and substance abuse concerns, and helps them lead fulfilling, drug-free lives. Stritzel plans to continue to advocate for these kinds of programs.

After graduation Stritzel will be attending the University of Texas-Austin to get her master’s degree and Ph.D. in sociology. In 10 years she hopes to either be teaching and continuing her research as a professor or conducting social science research in some other non-academic setting.

“I hope that I’ve convinced at least some people that you can definitely do cool, meaningful work with a liberal arts degree. The skills you learn getting a liberal arts education are needed out there,” Stritzel said.

Morgan Richardson

Richardson has a double major in Russian studies and political science with a minor in French.
Of her time at TU, Richardson said, “There is a whole world of knowledge out there waiting for someone to take interest in it.”
“I think it is very important for me, as a young, black woman, to show the world that people who look like me can accomplish great things inside and outside of the classroom,” Richardson shared.

After graduation, Richardson will study in Russia on an Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship. She then plans to attend graduate school at Indiana University where she will pursue a MA in Russian Studies and a Master of Public Affairs.

In ten years Richardson sees herself as a newly minted Foreign Service Officer on the track to become an ambassador.

Her advice for underclassmen is, “do not take for granted the innumerable learning opportunities outside of the classroom. Every moment of our lives represents a chance to learn something new.”

“If I could leave any legacy behind at TU, I would encourage people to think about ways they could use their knowledge for the betterment of society,” Richardson said.

Haley Stritzel

Nigel Cook

Cook is a psychology major. He has participated on numerous research projects primarily focusing on trauma and/or poverty, which have been used to improve the effectiveness of a trauma-informed prison-diversion treatment program for substance abusing women, as well as enhance the sparse literature pertaining to the occupational experiences of journalists.

Cook has worked as a tutor at various schools catering to the needs of students from low-income families. “These experiences ultimately helped shape my interest in pursuing social work as a career,” he said.

After graduation Cook will be attending Washington University’s Brown School of Social Work to pursue a Master of Social Work. His focus will be primarily on mental health related issues in adolescent populations.

In 10 years Cook hopes to have an established career as some sort of mental health professional and ultimately to become a licensed clinical social worker.

His advice for underclassmen is, “become involved. Some of the greatest experiences I had while at TU came from outside of the classroom. Internships, research experience, and volunteer work are all invaluable in perfecting your education.”

“I would hope that I am remembered as someone who was very involved and committed to the psychology department and that my example encourages others to become more involved,” Cook said.

Tim Aston

Aston is a film studies major with minors in film scoring and Chinese. He has written and directed a narrative short film and scored two other films.

Locally, Aston represented the university as a production assistant for a feature film shot in Tulsa by native Oklahoman Sterlin Harjo.

Aston is currently looking at internships at various production houses, as well as contributing music to independent games. In ten years he hopes to be writing feature films and scoring both films and games.

Aston’s advice for underclassmen is to “network. Your fellow classmates will become those that will propel your career. And go to class.”

Aston hopes that his legacy is “to be known as a student that used his full potential.”

Post Author: tucollegian