NBA injury update

The NBA has had a tremendous setback when it comes to injuries. There have been six big injuries that have slowed some of the best squads in the NBA in recent games, and five out of the six were contenders for MVP.

Saturday, March 20, when the Lakers played the Hawks, LeBron James had to leave early with a high ankle sprain. He was going for a loose ball and a Hawks player landed on his ankle. He persevered as long as he could manage though, staying in the game for the next possession and hitting a three pointer before subbing out and heading to the locker room. James later got an MRI, and the results came out as a high ankle sprain. After the game, James tweeted out about his injury and said, “Nothing angers and saddens me more than not being available to and for my teammates! I’m hurt inside and out right now. The road back from recovery begins now. Back soon like I never left.” Sources say James will be out for several weeks due to this injury, and the Lakers will miss his presence greatly.

In another loss for the City of Angels, another Lakers superstar, Anthony Davis, has been sidelined since Feb. 15 with a calf strain. This was announced by team doctors on Feb 18. An update on his injury from March 12 says he is recovering really well. The Lakers are down to their two best players, so hopefully he is able to return and help his team out now that LeBron is out.

A fan-favorite, Steph Curry, suffered a tailbone contusion last Wednesday, March 17 against the Houston Rockets. His momentum from his three point shot made him go backwards, and he fell into a flight of metal stairs. Curry just missed most of last year with a hand injury, and now this may keep him from the chance at a postseason return. The MRI results showed that Curry has inflammation in the tailbone, and he will still be out for another week. Hopefully for Oakland fans, Curry will return healthy and ready to go and to return as a dominant shooting threat.

Joel Embid, the center for the Philadelphia 76ers, is hurt and has been out for a week. The game on March 12, against the Wizards, Embiid went up for a dunk and landed awkwardly. At first, team doctors thought it was a hyperextension in the knee. For caution, they took an MRI and learned that Embiid has a bruised knee. This will have him sidelined for at least two weeks. Sources say it may be stretched to three weeks, but Embiid’s rehab has been going well and should be just one more week of him being out.

Kevin Durant, superstar of the Brooklyn Nets, has been sidelined for quite some time. He has been out since Feb. 13 with a hamstring injury. The coach for the Nets, Steve Nash said, “He is working out on the court pretty much every day, he looks great.” The only thing is that the Nets feel as if there is no need to rush since they are second in the East and have high chances of making the postseason. If this were the Playoffs, Durant would have likely rushed for a return a lot sooner. Only time will tell when he comes back.

Lastly, LaMelo Ball fractured his wrist playing against the Clippers. Hornets doctors are not ruling him out for the rest of the season, but he will be re-evaluated in five weeks. That will be April 27, and if he is good to go then he will have three weeks left in the regular season. A speedy recovery is ideal for all players, and the NBA is not the same with these players out.

Post Author: Joseph Breedlove