Point-Counterpoint: Trump’s acquittal major win for president and party

The Democrats have failed to remove Trump, and in doing so, have given him more momentum.

The outcome was never really in doubt, but now it is official. After countless hearings and investigations about President Trump’s dealings with Ukraine, a divided United States Senate acquitted him on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. This marks the third impeachment of a U.S. president and third acquittal in history. It was a triumphant moment for President Trump, ending a three-week long impeachment process pushed forward by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

Following the news of acquittal, President Trump took time to celebrate the next day at the National Prayer Breakfast. During the breakfast, Trump entered the room waiving the USA Today newspaper with the headline “Acquitted” while taking time to thank the “incredible warriors” who sided with him during the ordeal and blasting the entire impeachment process as “crooked.” The cloud of impeachment has moved away from the White House and President Trump is now free to get back to work, governing the nation and campaigning for the 2020 election.

On the other hand, impeachment marks another failure by the Democrats to remove the man that they despise so much. Ever since the defeat of Hilary Clinton the Democrats have desperately sought evidence to remove President Trump from office. The list of schemes that they have employed to eject the president from the White House include claiming that Trump is a traitor, mentally insane and an election cheat. They have also tried to declare Trump guilty of criminal campaign finance violations, guilty of a personal payoff to Stormy Daniels and most importantly, guilty of colluding with Russia to steal the election. When Special Counsel Robert Mueller could not force Trump out the Democrats were left with one last Hail Mary, impeachment.

The fact that Nancy Pelosi and her party went as far to use impeachment reflects their utter desperation. Never before has a president been subject to such radical efforts by the opposition party to remove him from office. Not only was the three-week impeachment process a complete waste of time, it sets a precedent for impeachment to be used as a political tool by the opposing party against future presidents.

Pelosi and the Democrats couldn’t even find a high crime or misdemeanor that President Trump committed so they slapped the ambiguous charge of “abuse of power” and hastily hired some lawyers to impeach the president. There’s a strong argument to be made that they abused their power by politicizing the impeachment process and bringing charges against the president over such loose evidence.
With the impeachment trial over, reality is beginning to set in for the Democrats. The only way to remove this president is the 2020 election. Yet, this possibility is looking less likely by the week. The approval rating for Trump is now at 49 percent, according to Gallup, the highest it has ever been.

On top of that, President Trump is on a roll with new accomplishments every month. The new United States-Mexico-Canada trade agreement was just signed following phase one of the China Trade Deal. If you add in a healthy growing economy and an incredibly strong labor market with the lowest unemployment in over 40 years, the 2020 election is looking bright for the incumbent. This impeachment not only vindicates the president but gives him and his supporters the confidence needed to win the next election, likely chalking up another loss for the Democratic Party.

Post Author: Zack Long