Greek Life Spotlight: Kappa Delta

My name is Chiarina Gutierrez and I am the current president of the Kappa Delta, Beta Epsilon Chapter! I am currently a sophomore studying Elementary Education with minors in Psychology and Early Intervention. As a first-generation college student, I did not know much about Greek Life or college in general, and in high school, I was not interested in going Greek. When I was accepted into TU, I was afraid of how I would get involved on campus, especially because I am from California and I did not know anyone coming here or anywhere in the surrounding area.

When I originally came on my tour I was walking down sorority row and realized that Greek Life did seem like something I would enjoy, but I was still unsure. About a week before I moved in, my mom and I were doing some shopping for my dorm, and she said that she thought I should go through formal recruitment. Even though I was not guaranteed to get into a house, I would still make friends along the way. That night, I signed up for recruitment and going through with it was one of the best decisions I have made in college thus far.

Joining KD has brought me more friendships, opportunities and leadership than I could have ever known. If someone had told me my senior year of high school that many of my closest friends were from Greek Life, I would have never believed them. I would have never thought I would join a sorority or be as involved in it as I am now.

Before I was chapter President, I was our Vice President of Events and Programming, which is in charge of social events and philanthropy, and seeing how much of an impact we can make just by hosting some events was truly inspiring. I especially loved seeing the amount of Panhellenic support there is for philanthropy across row. Overall, Greek Life has given me a lot and taught me more than I could have imagined, and I am so grateful for all of the experiences I have gained from it and will continue to gain throughout my time here!

Love and AOT,
Chiarina Gutierrez

Nickname: KD
Chapter Name: Beta Epsilon
Colors: Olive Green and Pearl White
Symbols: Dagger, Teddy Bear and Nautilus Shell
Flower: White Rose
National Founding: Oct. 23, 1897, at Longwood University, Farmville, VA
Local Founding: Sept. 11, 1937
Philanthropies: Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., Prevent Child Abuse America, The Orthopedic Research Awards and The Children’s Hospital in Richmond, VA

Post Author: Chiarina Gutierrez