Soccer sweeps Tulsa Invitational but falls to OU

Amid a solid start to their season, the Golden Hurricane women’s soccer team went undefeated in the Tulsa Invitational.

After opening the season with a win against Central Arkansas, Tulsa headed to College Station to face the No. 11 ranked team in the country, Texas A&M. The Aggies took the lead close to the end of an even first half and didn’t look back. They totaled 35 shots on the game — 13 on target — and added an insurance goal with ten minutes remaining to take the game, 2-0.

The Tulsa Invitational was next on the schedule for the Golden Hurricane, and their first opponent was the Bears of Missouri State. The game started poorly for Tulsa, who conceded a goal a mere 22 seconds into the game. However, the deficit didn’t last long, as Anna Williams scored less than a minute later to tie the game.

The rest of the game was a close contest, but Tulsa was able to put a few more scoring plays together to take the game. Rachel Thun scored twice, once in each half, to give Tulsa a two goal cushion and a 3-1 victory.

In the second game of the invitational, the Golden Hurricane faced the Houston Baptist Huskies. Tulsa was in control of this game for the majority of the game, holding a 29-8 advantage in shots and a 13-4 advantage in shots on goal. In the first half, Tana Dake and Rachel Thun scored within a minute of each other to put the Golden Hurricane up 2-0 at halftime.

Just after halftime, Christina Holmes scored to push the lead to 3-0. After the Huskies put their first goal of the game on the board later in the half, Holmes scored again, to give Tulsa a 4-1 victory.

Next up after the Tulsa Invitational was the Tulsa Classic. The University of Oklahoma Sooners travelled to Tulsa to be the Golden Hurricane’s first opponent. On paper, the Sooners looked to be in control of the majority of the game, as the Golden Hurricane only put two shots on target. However, the defense played a strong game, and kept Tulsa close. The scoring went back-and-forth, with OU scoring the first goal of the game and only goal of the first half. Rachel Thun leveled the scored, but OU took the lead back less than a minute later. Annabeth Fouts scored for Tulsa with five minutes remaining in the game to force overtime, but OU again responded quickly, winning the game just two minutes into the extra period.

Post Author: tucollegian

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *