Golden Hurricane Sports Preview

As most know, The University of Tulsa sports compete at the NCAA Division I level. Even with a smaller student body compared to most other Division I schools, Tulsa still puts up tough competition across all its sports. It is also important to know that TU wants students to attend events and support their classmates and peers. The university has made this more accessible by offering every student free admission to all athletic events. The only requirement is to show your valid TU ID when entering events.

As a reminder, the Golden Hurricane begins this year coming off of a few accolades. Beginning with the men’s soccer team, Tulsa had a dominant season, working their way up to No. 2 in the nation by the United Soccer Coaches during week 11 of their season. Tulsa completed the season ranked No. 10 nationally with a positive record of 16–2–1. This upcoming season, Tulsa is already starting off strong by currently holding the rank of No. 11 in the preseason poll. The first chance to witness this heavily anticipated season takes place on campus Sept. 2. The Golden Hurricane will be playing against the University of Missouri – Kansas City Roos.

TU men’s cross-country performed well last year too. The team went to the NCAA Cross Country Championship and finished sixth of 31 teams. As the season came to a close, Tulsa runner Scott Beattie was given special recognition and received the American Athletic Conference Men’s Runner of the Year award. This previous successful season leaves a lot of potential for this year’s cross-country performance.

Both Tulsa women’s and men’s tennis teams had notable seasons earlier this year. Both teams finished their seasons ranked No. 3 in the American Athletic Conference standings. The women played at the AAC Championship against the Memphis Tigers. Although they fell a bit short of winning the match, they still ended their season with a strong record of 17-8. The women’s season concluded with our very own Golden Hurricane, Laia Conde Monfort, being awarded the AAC Women’s Player of the Year. Tulsa player Kody Pearson received the AAC Men’s Player of the Year award. Previously, Tulsa had never had a men’s tennis player receive this award, so Pearson made university history. The men’s final record consisted of 15-12. It’ll be worth keeping an eye on both teams for their coming performances this year.

The men’s basketball team has just gotten a new coach, Eric Konkol. We will see how he performs this upcoming season as the Golden Hurricane looks to improve upon a lackluster season last year. The TU women’s basketball team will be headed by coach Angie Nelp for her second season, likewise hoping to improve upon conference play. Women’s basketball stood No. 8 last season and the men’s team stood No. 10. We will see if Konkol and Nelp can turn it around for our Golden Hurricanes this year.

TU’s football team stood No. 5 in the AAC last season. TU’s standing this year will be impacted by the exit of Houston, Cincinnati and UCF, who are joining the Big 12. You can catch their first game of the season in Wyoming on Sept. 3 against the Wyoming Cowboys.

Some upcoming home events include the Tulsa women’s soccer team playing the Central Arkansas Bears on Sept. 1. Following the men’s soccer match with Kansas City, their next match is against Oral Roberts University on Sept. 5. And lastly, Tulsa’s first home football game against the Northern Illinois Huskies occurs on Sept. 10.

Post Author: Caspian Denton